Tuesday 27 January 2015

My First Wheels

Ok, my first baby wheels literally was my brother's go Kart on which I would zoom swiftly around outside (circa 1976) This was a kid's dream...I loved it.

Hell on Wheels!!!!

My first proper wheels I got when I was 26 and it was my beloved 3 door Citroen Saxo 2000 in electric blue which I fondly christened Martha (doesn't everyone name their cars?) My dad bought Martha for me so in gratitude I made him a solemn vow to cherish my demure little runabout.

Martha & I

I treasured Martha and her manual sunroof that I had to wind up like a gramophone just to get a bit airflow inside as the air conditioning was a system solely dependent on how far down you wound her windows down in times of abject suffocation.
I studiously manned her stereo cassette system (yes tapes!) and played endless songs of Shakira (hip shaking was not an activity happily achieved in her limited space) whilst cruising the A10 with her windows rolled down.
I was not aware that owning a car that was key operated was uncool until a friend of mine casually remarked (from the comfort of her Audi) that she didn't realise they still made cars without a central locking system! (She is no longer my friend) Her seat adjustment was a dream as I managed to get my little 5ft 2 self as close to her wheel as I could without onlookers assuming that Ronnie Corbett was part owner.



I forgave her not so plush interior, her sombre pattern partially outlined with an electric blue fabric which wouldn't have looked out of place in an early Duran Duran video. It was acceptable in the 80's...

It looked alot like this..

This was of no matter to myself as my reliable little Martha served me well around North London with a smile on my face and room enough for my diminutive self even assisting me when I eventually moved out.

Know this, Martha may not have been expensive or glamorous. Nor did she possess a complicated technology and her vigorous booty shaking was more akin to a timid waggle, yet my curious little Martha was the most trusted friend I had who never let me down....except maybe when 13 years down the line the winder on her sun roof snapped and her exhaust fell out on the A303 on my way to Cornwall.


I relegated Martha to the scrap heap in the sky mourning her passing with a sausage roll and a smile. I then chose a shinier, sexier and more exotic model.....a Nissan Micra.

My best mate Martha

#Myfirstwheelscomp

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers..